Sunday, February 08, 2009

Question for Tom... Lloyd... Matt... those who know about bike brakes

I've replaced the old fashion handlebar on my city bike with something a lot more comfortable:



Here are the bits:



And what it looks like:



Problem: I don't have any brakes!

The original plan was to reuse the V-brake/shifter combo that came with my mountain bike. You can see the right hand side one on the last picture.

Not having a new brake cable, I tried to reuse the old one but it's too short. So I don't know if it works yet.

My questions are:

Is it possible to use V-brake levers with cantilever brakes,

Is it possible to drive the rear and front mechs with indexed shifters? The rear cassette has 5 rings and the shifter 8 speeds, have i got any hope to make it work?

No comments: